Google+ What I Made Today: Liquid Love

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Liquid Love


I spent a good portion of my afternoon straining, filtering and/or decanting several aspects of liquid love. Not the least being one of the most literal of botanical loves - the rose. I strained and started a second two-month infusion of my rose petal liqueur, or elixir if you prefer. I also strained, filtered and bottled a quart of delightful rose petal vinegar. I had 12 ounces that wouldn't fit into my bottle, and those twelve ounces sang to me!

They sang of shrub, a vinegar-n-sugar syrup that is mixed with water, sparkling or not, to make cold drink. To my knowledge it is considered an old time farmers' drink that is traditionally made with a fruit-n-vinegar infusions. But this, this rose vinegar sang to me. I listened and I responded.

I measured out one and a three-quarters cups of sugar (equal measure, by volume, to the vinegar), mixed it with the infused vinegar in a heavy pot and placed it over moderate high flame on the stove top. I stirred it as it came to a boil and the sugar fully dissolved. It cooled and I poured it into a bottle for safe keeping.

I tasted some, of course, a small amount mixed with water over ice. And I fell in love.

That's what I made today. Peace.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm that sounds delicious..the colour alone looks so inviting :)
i haven't popped in for a while.. i hope life is being good to you xx

Anonymous said...

Hrmmm...I'm intrigued. I hope I get to try it sometime :)

solamar7 said...

amazing and beautiful...

UmaShezOya said...

does your creativity ever wane?

I hope not!!! :)

At times it intimidates *sigh*
but only when I forget to take it in with love... then I remember I Love you, and this touches me to learn... then it inspires and I begin to spiral up. Thank you dear Rose for both of these.. both needed and appreciated♥

Healing Woman said...

Love in a bottle for sure. It reminds me( of course it is not made of dandelion) of Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine" I loved that book. I think you would enjoy it. He concocts dandelion wine and tells stories revolving around it. It's a series of timeless tales.

Anyway, your concoction looks absolutely wonderful.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

GreenWhisper ~ Life *is* good to me - challenges and all. Hope it's good to you too!

astitchintime9 ~ I believe that can be arranged! The beautiful thing about this is that I can be made with dried rose petals as well as fresh - so I can make it year 'round. And it's ready in weeks, rather than months! :)

UmaShezOya ~ thank YOU. :)

Healing Woman ~ I *love* Dandelion Wine … *and* The October Tree (I think that's right) and I have a tendency to re-read these every few years - always in Autumn. :)

Thanks *everyone!*

Anonymous said...

very much liking the little smile you left.. thankyou. i have to agree..life is good challenges and all.. where would we be without them? ;) sue xx

Kim said...

Ahhh, she sighs with contentment

emilayusof said...

wow this is amazing! I love gardening but have been ignoring it since i took u a big drawing job. Will definitely spend more time gardening soon! Love all your interesting posts and great pictures.

Dropped EC, will be coming back more to read.

Reeni said...

This just sounds luscious!

ann Viveros said...

Wow! I love that! My roses are all finished blooming I'll have to remember that for next year. I made an elixir this year. It was with vermouth and borage. Unfortunately, can't say I adored the taste. The rose petal elixir sounds delicious!