Google+ What I Made Today: The First of the Autumn Harvests

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The First of the Autumn Harvests


Today I made the first harvest of winter squash, three large fruits from a vine I did not plant. I suspect this is from composted seeds from last year's kabocha, though it's more orange than I remember. In any event, it will get roasted just as soon as the seasons cool to that place where roasting indoors is pleasurable.

I also harvested a large bundle of kale, enough for enjoying this evening along with several quart packages for the freezer.

That's what I made today. Peace.

14 comments:

Vincent James Pia said...

AUTUMN ALREADY!?!

BUT WE'RE NOT EVEN HALF-PAST SUMMER!!!

(Well... at least not in my world, LOL!)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

What can I tell ya Vin? These winter squash were ripe for harvest. Mama nature *knows* stuff! :)

Amy said...

I wish it was autumn already here! Beautiful :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh, it's still summer here mama! :) Plenty more winter squash to come. These were just the early compost-risers!

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I love a good squash- and it's fun to see one pop up where you haven't planned!

Divaeva said...

I looooove the colors! I am soooo ready for fall! No rush... but I am ready!

Mami Made It said...

My squash are huge too. But I think it's August, I cant harvest them yet!
OMG, it's already Autumn!

Healing Woman said...

I hope you keep showing your harvest and what your are creating with that wonderful bounty. I keep wondering how your squash ripened so early. Guess it was our heat wave type of summer..and from the compost makes it even more exciting. How I would love to see your compost.

Laura said...

those are beautiful

PinkPolish said...

Yum! I'm so jealous, we neglected our garden some this last year. And I really wish we had gotten squash in instead of beans! :)

emilayusof said...

i love the orange color!

Kim said...

awesome - surprise vines are sometimes the best

Tammie Lee said...

I just love seeing what you are harvesting.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I had some squash like this one year in my compost. I had to use an ax to open them!