Google+ What I Made Today: A Harvest of Sunshine

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Harvest of Sunshine

Today I harvested more calendula flowers - enough for another two quarts of infused oil. This year I'm infusing many of my herbals in organic coconut oil. I love coconut oil and find it a great addition as well as standalone for many of my herbal skincare projects. Last year I made a calendula soap that I fell in love with and I plan to make more, so the six or so quarts of calendula oil I have going now will position me for many a bar. Many for me! Some for gifts! And, perhaps, some to sell. We shall see.

I love the sticky, resinous feel and fresh, green scent that harvesting calendula leaves on my fingers. I love how summer's sunshine can be coaxed into bottles and jars, balms and salves, soaps and creams, skin sprays and tinctures. Not to mention meads and ales.


Since I was harvesting the verve and light of summer I figured a simple spray of sunflowers deserved a spot of honor on my dining table. As it is, so shall it be.

That's what I made today. All under the watch of August's Dark Moon. Peace.

14 comments:

Divaeva said...

my favorite! <3 sunflowers!

Kim said...

Beautiful

Vincent James Pia said...

Absolutely beautiful! :-)

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Heavenly soap and
Beautiful blossoms!!

I had a cut that wouldn't
heal till I put coconut
oil on it. Healed it right
up.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Yannie said...

I think it's really nice to live in your place.Everything is fresh and natural.

Tess Carter said...

SO lovely! I'm jealous of those gorgeous flowers!! Wish mine looked that good!

Tammie Lee said...

ah the bounties of summer. I really enjoy coconut oil also.

Lisa said...

Beautiful, beautiful.

Brizel Handcrafts said...

Oh my goodness- what gorgeous sunflowers !

Healing Woman said...

That's quite an amazing picture of the inside of the calendula flower.
As I said before, I am so envious of your sunflowers. Absolutely enchanting.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

BEAUTEOUS!!!!!!

jdavissquared said...

those sunflowers are so pretty! i wish they were on my dining table.

found you on etsy forums, hope you'll come visit me too!

http://jdavissquared.blogspot.com/

Diana said...

Calendula and coconut oil sound delicious!

You should check out http://efreeme.com to list some of your stuff - it's free!

Plantress said...

My reading tells me that you can drink coconut oil as a way to combat psoriasis. Looking into it!