Google+ What I Made Today: A September Day Cornucopia

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A September Day Cornucopia


Today I started my first gallon batch of fermented tomato juice. I made a small batch of last year and promised to make more, much more this year. This fermentation was inspired by this fermented bloody mary cocktail. Need I say more? Except, perhaps, that this is so simple and so delicious, with or without the spirits!

I've been up to other things these past couple of days. After all, this is the season of urgency - in my corner of the world anyway.


Tomato puree was canned and kale dried, both from Dineberg's Farm. Another round of calendula infused coconut oil was strained and bottled, though this jar will get topped off with the next ready batch. I use this oil mostly for soaps, scrubs and assorted balms.


Peppers from Dineberg's were combined with carrots from my gardens and assorted herbs and spices to start a ferment. And fermented green tomato salsa and hot peppers are also percolating, so to speak, on the kitchen counter.

Peppers, also from Dineberg's, were chopped and dried to help see us through the winter months. 

More tomatoes were harvested along with assorted garden finds to add to this evening's salad and frittata, which The Boy is making with our backyard hen eggs, of course. And, I swear, one of our chooks laid an ostrich egg today. Biggest egg laid on my little acre so far. Could be a double yoker! 

I did manage a wee bit of time to art journal and prepare a new journal for the coming days. More on that another day.

As for today … and yesterday … that's what I made. Peace.

5 comments:

Fil said...

My! You've been busy Rose - lovely to catch up with you again.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Amazing! This looks like so much work but so rewarding when you get to enjoy the goodies in the winter months. Enjoy that ostrich sized egg!

Sharkbytes said...

I haven't been doing that much food this year. Too lazy, I guess.

Tammie Lee said...

oh my goodness, yum yum yum!

Lisabella Russo said...

It looks amazing! It looks like your plants bore a lot of fruits! We planted a tomato plant this year, it grew gigantic but gave very few tomatoes...