Google+ What I Made Today: An Outcome - Face Number Two

Monday, September 2, 2013

An Outcome - Face Number Two


In between labeling and putting the beans in the pantry, preparing tomatoes for cook-down, sorting through more mom-boxes, I found myself shuffling back and forth between the studio and whatever task was at hand in the moment. I had a journal page prepped with some partial-layers of stamping, gesso, acrylic, but none of it covering the entire watercolor page. I pulled out my oil pastels and just began to play. I was reminded of how nicely oils blend and how easy it is to suggest shadow simply by melding complements. Not that I was doing any such blending. I realized that I don't work much with them, not because they aren't cool, 'cause they are, but because I don't care for the smell.

All the same, like the colors, I melded with my inner muse-child and let stylized fancy make manifest. I sprayed some alcohol ink, wiped, rubbed, played, just to witness the alchemy. I finished up with a little meditative Souffle dot-making.

The process felt good. And the outcome, such as it is, reminded me of a conversation with a friend that brought up one of my mantras: "It's cool to have expectations ~ vital, even ~ so long as one is not attached to any perceived outcomes."

So there it is, my face for 29 Faces. And I hope you'll check out some of the other fab faces in the links below and at 29 Faces!

That's what I made today. Peace.


16 comments:

Jo said...

Great image. I have posted a recipe for beetroot chutney here which is really lovely.

http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

Tammie Lee said...

i have so enjoyed this playful piece ~

Selma said...

Colorful face, I like your style. Sorry for my bad English.

Anonymous said...

This is a real fun piece. Love the eyes!
Cheers
Gabriele

Diane ~ said...

it's so much fun to just play and enjoy the process of experimenting. Fun piece! and thank you SO much for stopping by my blog :D

Carol said...

Love the playfulness involved here :) It's so fun to just draw for the joy of the action and not the finished product. Looking forward to more faces.

GlorV1 said...

What a fun piece. Love the look. A lot of dots too. Nice job.
gloria

Unknown said...

How fun! The textures are great and I adore the Souffle dots.

Coreopsis said...

Oh man, I SO approve of your attitude toward art-making, and I suspect living in general. It makes me happy knowing that someone is putting up beans and tomatoes right now. (We're somehow managing to keep up with eating tomatoes, and I've never had any luck with beans because of bean beetles. This year, I have my Swiss chard and lacinato kale right next to each other, and the kale is being decimated my these beautiful black and gold beetles and are reproducing and eating right there all over the kale plants, and they're not touching the chard. Why? They're both yummy greens.

As far as the way art supplies smell, I know exactly what you mean. But I'm trying to think if there's anything I just don't like the smell of--or if I like the smell of everything simply because I have such good associations with it--like I LOVE the smell of turpentine and linseed oil, though I haven't used them since college--and intaglio ink....

Beautiful face! I'm going to so enjoy watching the progression of these!

Amy at love made my home said...

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for visiting my blog the other day, sorry it's taken a little bit to come and visit you! Great to see your blog though, and I hope to see you again at mine soon. Thanks again. Amy

Sharkbytes said...

What fun! I am no good at art-a-day. But I once did a poem a day for a month.

SLScheibe said...

Very colourful and bright. A bold art piece too! :)

Faye said...

what fun this look to be! I love those alcohol inks. Your painting has some beautiful colors to it.

Sunshineshelle said...

Love this post your art is gorgeous, the colours just blow me away too :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks to all of you, for your kind and motivating words!

And Coreopsis … I *do* appreciate the scent of mineral spirits … linseed oil … yeah. I do. :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

This piece sounds like it was so soothing to create. What a perfect mantra. I will remember that one since I tend to be hard on myself!