Google+ What I Made Today: Preparations

Friday, May 29, 2009

Preparations


The day is young, and I've not yet actually made the preparations on my list, but I have started, for a gift of sharing time with loved ones is a promise I offer myself for these accomplishments that I see before me.

I've already started preparations for my class tomorrow (weather permitting) and in doing so my memory calls on the Latin phrase non-collige virgo rosas  - gather, maiden, the roses - and all that this phrase holds ... I recall my father and in turn the following bit of poetry comes to me ...

To the Virgins  (the empowered) , to Make Much of Time
by Robert Henrick (who I still feel was inspired by Shakespeare)

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, 
    Old time is still a-flying: 
And this same flower that smiles to-day 
    To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun, 
    The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run, 
    And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first, 
    When youth and blood are warmer; 
But being spent, the worse, and worst 
    Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time, 
    And while ye may go marry: 
For having lost but once your prime 
    You may for ever tarry.


So it is now that my roses, such as they are, are gathered and honored, beheld and enjoyed ... effort and all ... thorns and all ... reward and all. Ashe. Ashe.

5 comments:

Divaeva said...

what a great poem to start my day - spending it in the car drivng driving driving for work *sigh* but tomorrow will be for the roses!

Anonymous said...

Rose, your blog is always so inspirational!! Such a beautiful poem to center me for the start of another hectic day.
Thanks,
:)DeDe

Unknown said...

oh so true! hope you have great fun tomorrow!

Tammie Lee said...

Lovely photograph, absolutely.

Kim said...

Robert Herrick is one of my favorite poets and this poem brought back fond memories. Thanks