Google+ What I Made Today: Delightful Ketchup!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Delightful Ketchup!


Today I made homemade ketchup and it is so freakin' good. Easy too. I adapted a recipe from Clara's Kitchen, my latest beloved cookbook that I received in early January. I've been following Clara for a long while on YouTube and was delighted when her book came out. I love reading and rereading her memories of the Great Depression ... and recall similar stories from my own mom and her siblings and peers. Anyway ...

Today I made my own damned ketchup and I'll never (a word I rarely use) buy the HFCS laden crap they sell commercially ever again. Not that I use it often, but The Boy does. And quite frankly, after today, I may just start using ketchup like my Dad did - on virtually everything! Anyway (again) ... if you want Clara's recipe you'll just have buy her book, or DVD. If you want to know how I made mine today, here ya go:

1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1/4 cup water (more-or-less)
1 tablespoon (more-or-less) of my Fiery Cider (apple cider vinegar infused with garlic, horseradish root, ginger root, burdock root, hot pepper flakes)
1 tablespoon (more-or-less) of balsamic vinegar
1 glove of garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon (more-or-less) sea salt

Place it all in a bowl and stir with lots of energetic love. Serve and be delighted. That's right - delighted by ketchup!

That's what I made today. Peace.

16 comments:

Tony Anders said...

To nutshel - that sounds so flippin good! Wish i could buy a jar!

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

Wow, was it really that easy? Must consider this.

Wild Mama said...

That sounds fabulous! I'll have to try it. I hate buying the crap at the store. Thanks for sharing :)

Zom said...

Yum. I love the idea of making my own ketchup.

I am not much of a cook, but I have made mustard - so that it actually ferments. Apparently most of our traditional condiments were fermented and therefore good for us.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My son really loves ketchup, and I have been buying the new no-HFCS ones, but I will give him this recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

brandi said...

~i knew it could be done but never realized how easy...oh how you have just saved me...there are little ones who have a love of ketchup here...thanks for sharing...brightest blessings~

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Tony ~ what's stoppin' ya from makin' your own? :)

Oh Zom, I love my homemade fermented foods and eat or drink a little of something most every day.

Happy ketchup making making everyone!

Almay Alday said...

Homemade Ketchup! Yum!!

Laura said...

homemade ketchup? how fabulous!

Meghann said...

Oh my gosh, you must have been getting my "I need a ketchup recipe" vibes - I just found out my ketchup has corn sugar in it, and being allergic to corn, well, you can imagine I was not impressed at the thought of having to give up a few of my recipes that call for ketchup, even in minute quantities. You have (once again) solved my problems!
Thank you so much for being so on top of things :D
Meg

Nicole said...

This sounds yummy. I'm really liking the sound of your Fiery Cider too, to use with this. I can save one of the squeeze bottles we have now from the Organic Ketchup we buy to keep it in too.

I honestly cant wait to get back down to FL & have the time & space to do so much of this stuff.

Lisa @ Perfectly Peculiar said...

yay, homemade ketchup ... there are so many people in my family who are sensitive to the corn syrup in most ketchups that i've been making it for a while and you're right, it's so much better ... ("is that real homemade ketchup eddie?" ... one of my fave movie lines lol)

Unknown said...

thanks so much for sharing. I am Clara's newest fan - she is incredible. Being of Italian heritage and having grandparents who grew up in the Depression era, I really loved hearing her stories

Dana said...

I've never made ketchup before. I have made mustard and mayo and they are far superior to what is in the stores, so I'll have to try it.

Kim said...

I'll be making some of that. We rarely use ketchup here but would love some good ketchuo instead of the store bought crap.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I'm so glad I shared this with you all - and I hope you have fun making it *and* enjoying it!