Google+ What I Made Today: Mince Meat

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mince Meat


Life is bland without new experiences. I like change. I like variations. I like the occasional pleasant surprise.

So today made manifest a new experience, one born from a dream to make something classically traditional to Yuletide festivities … something I'd never made before. I originally had my sites set on plum pudding until I discovered what a close cousin it was to mince meat. So that oddity - one that I know as loved by more than a couple loved-ones - mince meat, became the solstice day food project.

I chopped beef suet, dried fruit - including my own honied orange peel … I peeled, cored and chopped green apples … I measured brown sugar, cinnamon and apple cider … grated nutmeg and pulverized mace … and The Boy minced the beef.

It all went into a pot and simmered together until it was time to add the cognac. I must say that this seemingly odd blend of foods creates a culinary alchemy that is really quite surprising.
So now I look forward to making a classic holiday pie and who knows what else.

That's what I made today. Peace.

3 comments:

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I love green tomato mincemeat. You've made me remember that I should do filled cookies.

LetaMarieDesigns said...

One more reason I miss my Grandma. She made the best Mince Meat Pie. Looks terrific Rosemari~~

Wendy said...

Yum! I love traditional fare around the holidays. I bet the smells were amazing. Enjoy. :)