Google+ What I Made Today: My First Offerings

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My First Offerings


Today I made my first garden offering of the growing season - a short row of pea seeds planted in the cool earth under the warm glow of afternoon sun. No sooner were these seeds in the earth, and me back to my backyard lookout, that I heard a joyous frenzy of Nature. 

I looked toward the cacophony and saw the first of the springtime faeries dancing into my earthly realm with the dried winter leaves of last season. They were dancing in a spiral of warm and cool, of light and dark, and creating a magnificent wee twister with the airy elementals. Up, up, up they danced into the trees as they twirled closer and closer, between branch and twig and trunk, before setting down near the stone wall that defines my southerly border.

Ah yes, this is one of the two times of year that I often refer to as the changing of the faerie guard. Now is the time when the winter elementals and faeries recede to their places in the Underworld and their summery associates begin to ascend to take their place in our earthly realm for a season or two.

And in return for the gift of this magical witnessing, I made a second offering, down by the stone wall at my Gaia altar, of chocolate and almonds and dried apples. I wish I had some whisky for them too.

Perhaps another day. 

Ashe. Ashe. Ashe.

12 comments:

Kim said...

A what a beautiful ritual to witness.

Anonymous said...

Isn't spring a magical time of year? I've planted peas also, and cabbages too but I get so distracted by nature that I could just sit and watch the trees grow!!

Kathie said...

Such fun! As I read your post, I imagine the Winter Faeries and Elementals making their way Down Under ... as we begin our descent into Autumn!

Divaeva said...

fantastic idea! I think I will head outside before the sunset and enjoy a Jameson (or 2) with some faerie folk! The boys are both at work - hate being alone! *warm Irish blessings/hugs from a Russian, Irish lovin' chick!*

Lucas said...

WOW!!!
That's really wonderful!!
:D

LiPeony said...

wow that's very darn cool wish I could have seen what you saw. =D

Unknown said...

baby jake and i visited my altar rock today.. me for the first time this spring, him for the first time ever. we sat and he pointed to the trees and the birds and the ponds. he tried to say the words as i said them, all big solemn eyes and baby cheeks.

Laura Rose said...

I love your post!!! I love the fairies!! I love the offerings!!! I'm just in love today!!! ...and the air elementals are wickedly excited by me too. squeeling and excited and stirring up lots-o-trouble!!! Woohoo let the games begin!!

Anonymous said...

That is truly beautifilled!

Hugs,
~Lily

Luthien Thye said...

wow! that's so cool! i believe in faeries and elementals... wish i could see faeries tho. i had a friend who told me he once saw faeries dancing on a sink which was in his room. it was an old house and he was just a kid. he didn't know what they were (we in asia are not really exposed to european myths esp those of us who lived in small villages)... until he was older and happened to come across an enid blyton book and saw illustrations of faeries. he knew what he saw then, were faeries :) amazing isn't it? his mom didn't believe him though. but i did :)))

Crystal said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you - beautiful people - for your beautiful comments!