Google+ What I Made Today: A Declaration

Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Declaration


Favorites . . . I don’t do favorites. I really don’t. I've declared this before and I'm doing it again.
To me, life is far too dynamic to invest any energy in the idea of a favorite. I admit to using the word on occasion, in its plural form, like during a weedwalk I might say, “this plant is one of my favorites.” Of course, I very often hear a response from someone that goes something like this, “Rose, you say that about all the plants.”
There you have it.
So when the Etsy Bloggers Street Team asked its members to write about a favorite color and how we use it … all I could conjure was a rainbow, a dynamic entity in and of itself. As I sat with the idea of the ever-shifting, evolving, eternally changing rainbow that sneaks in and out of our worlds . . . I recalled (among other things) my giant bag of cotton floss and the beautiful cords that I spin with that rainbow of color choices . . . I considered my jar of markers, tubes of acrylic and watercolor paints . . . my gardens, pantry, apothecary . . . and I chuckled.
And I thought to myself . . . yep! That’s one of my favorite things about life – the infinite rainbow of choices that we have every single day (every moment!) if we only choose to see them, acknowledge them and act on them.

14 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love that you chose the rainbow!! I have my favorite - but I think it's cool that your world is more dynamic :)

BeadedTail said...

What a great way to look at life! Great post!

BunnyKissd said...

Well said! Rainbows for everyone! ^_^

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

Back in May I wrote a 10 Things About Me post.

Number 7:
I don't have a favorite anything. My mood dictates what I like at any given moment, be it colors, food, music. I may say this or that is a favorite, or one of my favorites, but that's just to simplify the conversation.

I can completely relate to your post.

Anonymous said...

Your post is thought provoking and rightly said. I must agree and remember, there is no box around my feet.

~Lily

Kim said...

Favorite color - a rainbow is such an awesome answer. I have favorite colors depending on what it is for - I like to decorate with different colors than I would wear for example. So, a rainbow it is. I love all the colrs and choices we have and Mama Nature creates.

Unknown said...

amen to that! i don't have a favorite color - some i might prefer over others in a given situation - for example, i think i look better wearing peachy pink than yellow-green but that's just clothing - it doesn't make it my favorite color....not to mention that we should all be EATING rainbows... the more the better :).

Anonymous said...

What an original view of life! I have to say that I peeked at your shale goddess pins and I love them!

Janice said...

:) It is a really great way to look at life - I find that my favorites are always changing, but rainbows do make me smile!

agoodwitchtoo said...

Such a wonderful outlook! Wonderful post!

Nuvofelt said...

Cool post.

Yazmin said...

So really, your favorite color is white, since it reflect all colors...hencing making a rainbow. ;)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Silly Yazmin ~ one could equally argue with "black," for it is said to absorb all colors!

Yazmin said...

Haha! Tis true!