Google+ What I Made Today: Chive Flower Vinegar and Face #24

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chive Flower Vinegar and Face #24


Today I did something I haven't done for years. I can't remember the last time I used white distilled vinegar, other than for cleaning and weed maintenance, that is. I don't think I've used white vinegar for any culinary use in something like 20 years. But today I harvested the chive flowers, remembered the beautiful pink, fragrant and flavorful vinegar that I used to make in my first 10 years of organic gardening and thought, "What the heck." 

Infused vinegars are simple to make. Just fill a jar with a delicious or nutritious botanical, cover it with vinegar (I usually use apple cider), cap it, and let it macerate for several weeks, then strain, bottle, label and enjoy.


As I made the infusion I recalled friends, loved ones, old and new, and found myself organically offering love and gratitude to the process. I have some clear bottles in the ready, and they're sure to make a nice gift or two. I think I'll do the same with the sage flowers I'm about to harvest. Sage flower vinegar rocks a meat marinade or homemade barbecue sauce.


I made face number 24 for 29 Faces in May. She's in my BoD journal, offering the observation of the annual incessant whine of a neighbor's pool filter.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

9 comments:

Kat L. Wilson said...

Wonderful post! Really pretty and insightful for those of us that are challenged in this area!

Verilee said...

I made chive vinegar today too!!!!

my first time - so pretty and pink!

I am quite in love with chive blossoms....delicious.

Thanks for the info on Sage blossoms as well, will do that as they open soon!

:)

Unknown said...

beautiful!! love all the faces, too :)

Jenny said...

WOW... your flower vinegar is awesome... and would make a beautiful gift for sure... love your little face... and she does certainly look like she is taking note of something...

Hugs
Jenny x

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

Your vinegar infusion sounds lovely, thanks for sharing the info on how to make it, I will have to try it. Your girl is very pretty, I like how you have painted over the collaged background. I bet that pool filter is annoying!

Adaptable Kay said...

I use ACV to bathe in, but I can't say I've used it to do much cooking! Although that infused vinegar sounds delicious and I have no doubt it's SO good for you :)

And another beautiful face for 29 faces-She kind of looks like someone's sweet grandmother to me ^.^

Carol said...

Great Face!!! So tomorrow I will be doing the sage vinegar! My chive blossoms are already eaten so I'll have to wait for a second bloom for that one :0)

Sharkbytes said...

She looks wary!

denthe said...

What a sweet little face! I love her!