Google+ What I Made Today: A Thing of Beauty . . .

Monday, March 31, 2008

A Thing of Beauty . . .

. . . is a joy that never lasts long enough . . .


So, last night, the Elderberry wine gets its final racking into 14+ bottles. It is beautifully clear, deep, blood red and so amazingly delicious that it's challenging to conjure the improvement that will occur in the bottles.



Today I make my handmade, rock-n-roll-nothing-fancy labels with only the royal title of "Elderberry Wine" and "Born 2007 * Bottled 4/2008." I consider that April isn't really here yet, but it's close enough for this intention. I wonder if I'll actually be able to wait those "at least" 30-days before opening a bottle. I recall harvesting the berries at Frostfire Farm in Goshen, CT in the beautiful heat of summer. I remember the labor of love, relaxing on the evening deck, separating berry from stalk and twig until I had a gallon of berries. Truly a labor of love.

Love that colors the flavor as the berries color the rest.

Ashe.

5 comments:

*aja said...

From the berry picking to the bottling, it all sounds divine! I have never tried elderberry wine, but I think I must soon.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

And I hope you do! It's good *and* good for you! Perhaps we might up in berry picking season?

*aja said...

Oh I love picking berries! Its so zen.

UmaShezOya said...

Hmmm how many times I have heard the phrase elderberry wine in song or literature..and wondered how it tastes....
tell me rose.. do you plan on selling your wine at some point in the future...I would be very very interested.....
Sherrie across the lake

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Hey there Sherrie across the lake!

Sell? No, no, no - gotta jump through bureaucratic hoops be licensed for booze making and selling. This is for home use. Though I do share on occasion . . .

:)