Google+ What I Made Today: August heART and a Delicious Cold Cucumber Soup

Friday, August 8, 2014

August heART and a Delicious Cold Cucumber Soup


Today's August heART is another quick sketch of a corner of a kitchen work table that I dashed off this morning after cleaning the greenhouse and watering the latest seedlings.

As for yesterday, it was so full, so frantic, so furiously busy that it flew by in a flash! Among other things I made a super-simple cold-cucumber soup that freakin' knocked my socks off, as they say.

I, in typical fashion, used what I had on hand and didn't measure, but this is pretty close:

Cold Cucumber Soup

3 cucumbers, on the large size, peeled, seeded and rough-chopped
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup chinese leeks (also called garlic chives), chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I used one of my herb-infused ACVs)
A couple-few splashes of my homemade habanero hot sauce
Salt, to taste
Water, just enough to get things moving in the blender
1/2 - 1 cup sour cream

Add the prepared ingredients to a blender (except the sour cream), a cup or two at a time and puree. Add more, puree again. Repeat until all is blended. Add the sour cream, puree to mix in. Let the soup chill for several hours before serving (though it's pretty tasty fresh-up, too!). This made about a quart. A garnish of chopped cilantro and cucumbers is nice for serving.

I'll definitely be making this again. So easy. So amazingly delicious!

Cold Cucumber Soup ready to chill in the frig. 
With that, be sure to visit the links of our August heART party-goers and leave them comments too. Us bloggers, we do so love your comments! And if you have some heART to share, be sure to add you link!

Peace.

4 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

I've never been able to get really excited about cold soups. Love the old bail-top jars though. Can one still get sealing rings for them? Probably somewhere.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Absolutely, Sharkbytes ~ those rubber seals are, indeed, available. I can in these babies. Of course, the oldest ones are used for dry food storage ~ don't want to risk loosing the old lovelies to boiling water! :)

w said...

Lovely color on the soup! It looks divine. I haven't really tried cold soups, but after reading this (and an abundance of cucumbers this year) I just may give it a whirl. Happy Friday :)

Carol said...

Me thinks me will be having some cucumber soup this coming week. Just added sour cream to the shopping list...need to have it around this time of year anyhow :) Love the sketch.