Google+ What I Made Today: Sautéed Cucumber

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sautéed Cucumber


My mother would brag about me on occasion. I recall her telling folks that "Rosemari can go into the kitchen and make something out of nothing." And I'm inclined to admit that it's a statement not without merit.

As a long-(long)-time gardener and preserver of food, I can say that The Garden has taught me much about the art of improvisation. I enter my kitchen-realm wielding imagination and respect for alchemy, not a recipe. I look around, see what I have on hand and imagine what I might do with it. Oh, sure, I learned a lot from recipes in my youth, and do enjoy reading them as sources for ideas, not for weights and measures and structured rules ::shudder:: to follow, but for inspiration.

This week has gifted me many cucumbers, from my garden, from a neighbor and from Dineberg's Farm CSA. Today I desired something other than a variation on a salad, or fermented half-sours (though I am making more of those), and wondered about cooking them. So I peeled, sliced, seeded and chopped them up and tossed them in a pan to sauté with only a few other available ingredients. I was delighted with the outcome. Here's what I did (more or less), for my recipe-dependent friends ...

Sautéed Cucumber


3-4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped (large ones work great for this)
1/4 cup chopped onion (or so)
1 tablespoon butter (organic, pasture-raised, if possible)
sea salt (to taste)
chives, chopped, a handfull (or chinese leeks, or dill, or parsley, or, well, you get the idea)

Heat the butter in a skillet, add the onion and sauté until they just begin to glimmer translucent. Add the cucumber and salt and sauté about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in the chives (or whatever). Serve hot or at room temp. And ... enjoy!

So, yeah, 
sautéed cucumber. That's what I made today.

Peace.



7 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Sounds delish! I do the same with English Cukes or cucumbers. Tastes great. Thanks for sharing.

Debi said...

Yes! Thank YOU! Oh I e been admiring all your creations , and this I can manage? Maybe?

Carol said...

Sounds like something right up my alley :)... I'm always winging it in the kitchen. ..my MIL used to call me the Queen of One Pot Concoctions. ..I don't think she meant it in a nice way..but I laughed and the name stuck LOL!

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy, sounds delightful! Imagination and hunger are always the best helps to cooking! Valerie

Sharkbytes said...

Well, I've always wondered if you could cook cucumber, but I never tried it. Now I might. But I don't have a cuke right now.

froebelsternchen said...

Sounds fantastic...
have to try out!
we use to make a lightly sure sauce with cucumber, be sweated onions,then just a little bit flour slightly sauted with -cutted cucumber to it - filled up with not to much beef broth soup(or the extract of it), at the end a bit of sure cream and dill herbs- salt and pepper and served with dumplings...
I love this meal!

xxx
Susi

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Carol ~ you cracked me up!

Susi ~ that's sounds great, I'll have to make it ~ Thanks for sharing!