Google+ What I Made Today: Zucchini Pineapple and Bonus Syrup

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Zucchini Pineapple and Bonus Syrup

Today we’re making space on the pantry shelves for 3 bottles of zucchini-pineapple-n-lemon syrup… a byproduct of the zucchini pineapple that I canned yesterday. That's right, zucchini pineapple. And it's exactly what it sounds like.

This is my first time making this, as historically I’ve judged it as a waste of good zucchini. But this year, what with our zucchini invasion ‘n’ all, I opened up my mind ‘n’ heart to revisiting this strange possibility. And I’m glad I did. It’s weirdly remarkable!

I bow down to the weird ‘n’ wonderful mind that first dreamt of this and made it manifest. I offer thanks, too, to Ashley for posting her zucchini pineapple, and thereby inspiring me to give it a go.

There's recipes out there, but here's what I ended up doing...

16 cups zucchini, peeled, chunked (or chopped/shredded)
64 oz. pineapple juice, unsweetened, not from concentrate
3 cups lemon juice, bottled
6 cups cane sugar

Bring to a boil in an open pot, then simmer for 20 minutes, also uncovered. Pack into sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace, process in a HWB (Hot Water Bath) for 15 minutes.

If I ever experience another zucchini glut, I’ll likely revisit this. ::nods::

🕊🥒🕊 Peace.

No comments: