Google+ What I Made Today: A Cast On & Then Some

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Cast On & Then Some


My charming goddess child, the very talented Pauline Rose, asked me if I would teach her to knit. Yikes! When did I last have my ol' knittin' needles out, I wondered? I've been on a crochet jag for ... years! So I dug out my needles (and I have plenty - some quite old, having belonged to my mom and Aunt Mary). My first challenge was to see if I could remember how to cast on ... and I could. From there, the two basic stitches - knit and pearl - were a cinch. So I started to play with simple variations to create familiar patterns, but mostly I was focused on finding my ideal tension. I toyed a bit in attempting the continental technique, but that's for another time. I'll play a bit more this evening and then see if I remember how to cast off. Once accomplished I'll make my appointment with Pauline.

I hope she catches on better than her mom. That - as I recall - and it was a long time ago - was a classic exercise in futility.

Anyway ... that's what I made today. Peace.

5 comments:

LazyTcrochet said...

Oh it's lovely. I did not know you knitted. Enjoy!

Jane said...

Lovely blog - wish I was good at knitting!

Dori T said...

I haven't picked up knitting needles in years. But I guess it's like riding a bike. And it looks like you are doing a good job from here.
dori

Tammie Lee said...

this sounds like wonderful time to share!

windchild said...

Just joined, great blog!

Looks like you're doing good so far--and your tension seems fine! If you do get a little lost around the cast-off (which I doubt you will be) I"m more than willing to help!