Google+ What I Made Today: Spring Burns

Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring Burns


Yesterday I made the second ritual burn of spring. For me, these fires honor the season in spiritually practical ways, as it transforms so much of the brush and fallen limbs of seasons past into lovely alkaline ash that will add renewed value to the compost and gardens throughout this season and those that follow. The Boy and I broke and chopped the larger pieces of brush to add to the fire. As we made a dent and removed a good section of brush from under the cedar I discovered - with foolishly joyful glee - the nettles up and greening away!

I also worked in the gardens, cleaning up beds, transplanting some garlic that ended up being in what will be a path this year. I had to shift a couple beds and paths because there's Hypericum perforatum (St. Joan's wort, or John if you prefer) that established itself in a path that I will leave exactly where She wants to be. I harvested some dandelion and baby garlic chives too. All this and brush collecting-n-busting and fire tending over several hours proved to be a bit too much for me.

By the end of the day there was a fire burning in my lower back as hot as the one that burned in the fire pit. I already had a small bottle of Hypericum tincture ready, for it's an ally to me every spring as I ease back into more energetic physical work. I had allowed myself a couple droppers before going out as a preventative to potential muscle ache. Last night I continued the droppers along with a little Salix alba (white willow back) tea, and hot and cold treatments. The Hypericum bottle was at my bedside, but I slept through the night without waking.

This morning I woke sore and stiff, but not nearly as extreme as one might expect. The fire in my back had burned down and only a few coals lingered. So today I made space for rest and gentle stretches, hot and cold treatments, tea and more green love. Especially Hypericum.

And through this fiery challenge I realize how pleased I am to leave the ol' willful girl of summer's power right where she is in the garden. It's what she wants and deserves. Me too.

Peace.

10 comments:

Divaeva said...

glad you are feeling better mama! *hugs*

MJ's Jewelry said...

I love this time of year. Have a great weekend.

Teri said...

Love the feeling of paying homage to last years beauty and readying for new spring arrivals. Allergies sneak in on me, but never ever slow my passion for getting out in the yard this time of year.
Great post!

Litty said...

What do you use the dandelion for?

Healing Woman said...

Beautiful spring post!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Litty - in this season I use it for food!

The young leaves in a nice wilted salad with olive oil, garlic and infused vinegar. Chopped and simmered and added to hot cup of miso soup. And so on.

The roots, cleaned and roasted and simmered for a fabulous, nutritional and tonic drink!

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

I'd love to hear more about your dandelion drink - I've never tried roasting or preparing the roots, and only know them as a bitter brew!

It's so windy in our cove that we can't burn for fun or work right now - hills just full of dry brush catching flame! But it sure does good for the land that's been burned.

Julia said...

So I am not the only one with a sore back. Good to know. I turned over our garden plot and mixed in manure and over three days hand tilled with a shovel... I've got the fire back too. :)

But good to know some veggies got planted and I am feeling my body!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Amber ... perhaps I'll do a separate post - here or on the shared blog, When Weeds Whisper. :) Roasting the roots mellows the bitters and begins to offer flavors reminiscent (to some folk) of coffee. I love it! And it's a great way to preserve the roots too. I still have a jar or two of autumn's roots!

Take care Julia! I'm pretty much back in balance now. Sounds like you're several weeks ahead f me I figure about 5 more weeks before the frost for my little acre. Just started more seeds yesterday. Love it!

Ruth said...

My Hypericum tincture is ready now. I think I'll try taking some before I do my raking and gardening chores this weekend. I'll keep the Prickly Ash Bark tincture nearby too in case of more severe muscle pain. Thanks for the tips Rose!