Google+ What I Made Today: A Porky Pick-Up

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Porky Pick-Up


I finally made my way to Southington to pick up our half a pig from the butcher. The freezer is packed full again with the delicious remnants of last year's meagerly abundant garden harvests, along with beef and now pork from Schreiber's Farm. I kept out a loin roast, some ham hocks and fresh bacon for cooking over the coming days. I started fermenting some dried limas to make a batch of the baked beans my mother loves. I'll be visiting her for easter and will have lots of cooked, healthy meals to restock her freezer - home-cooked, convenient foods that she can easily defrost and heat up. I prepare meals like this for myself too because as much as I love to cook, I'm not inspired to do it every single day. Though I am inspired to eat real home-cooked food every day.

In any event, no one's gonna go hungry around here! Peace.

10 comments:

Vincent James Pia said...

Mmmmmm!!! Pork!!! :-)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

LOL! That's what *I* said Vin ... and am *still* saying it. It's today's mantra. :D

And I'll tell ya, if I had more room in my freezer I would have snagged some their fresh made easter kielbasa that was hanging everywhere at the shop! Got to taste a piece - it was amazing!

brandi said...

~its almost dinner time here and kielbasa we haven't had since the end of last summer...grilled on the charcoal bbq and dipped in a little stone ground mustard...hhhmmm...now i have to decide what to cook...could you pass a bit of pig our way!?! have you ever tried kalua pig...if not i have a quick way to make it and its oh so yummy! happy eating and brightest blessings~

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

YUM!

I can't wait until I have a deep freezer so I can get half a pig and half a cow! Organic and free range is the way to go. :)

POSITIVE AGENDA said...

Your mother is a lucky woman! the lovely thoughts she will have of you as she has her home-made by you dinners!

Healing Woman said...

You are a very thoughtful daugher. We had a Southington near my home in Warren, Ohio. I suppose there are Southingtons everywhere though.

Sasa Peace Rocks said...

Cheers to home made cooking! ☮

Unknown said...

Okay, now you have made me hungry...

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

faerwillow - kalua pig? No ... and I'm off to google!

I love my freezer, Amber! Have for ::knock wood:: many years now. I'm thinking of getting a second one. :)

Thanks and lets keep a good thought POSITVE AGENDA.

Yeah Healing Woman, there are Southingtons al over. :)

Cheers Sasa!

Bon appetit Deronda!

Divaeva said...

mmm..the kielbasa was amazing - Bruce cooked us up some on Sunday night! yummy indeed! cooking me some porky as we speak.... I wish my freezer was bigger so I could stock up too! Going to look into getting a chest for the garage!