Google+ What I Made Today: Dried Fruit Compote & Honeyed Orange Peel

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dried Fruit Compote & Honeyed Orange Peel


Between dropping things, knocking things over and boiling over local raw milk for the yogurt I started, I somehow managed to make a delicious compote of dates, figs, raisins and rose hips. I just used what dark dried fruit I had on hand and tossed in a tablespoon-r-so of crushed rosehips and simmered them all together in a little water until softened. Then, I gave it all a gentle whirl in the blender to make a lovely, delicious and nutritious spread to be used for all manner of things in the days ahead.

Then, as I brought some local honey to simmer, I cut and enjoyed the fruit of an organic orange and set to slicing the peels nice and thin. I placed them in a clean jar and poured the hot honey over them. Just a few hours later and it's already quite good, but will improve by leaps and bounds over the coming days.

Both of these creations were inspired by and adapted from recipes in Susun Weed's book, New Menopausal Years - The Wise Woman Way.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds Yummy~~~~

Unknown said...

yum yum... you weren't drinking the whiskey while the milk was boiling over, were you? ;)

Healing Woman said...

I love what you make! Your photography makes these offerings look so absolutely delicious.
I'm so glad you are posting all of these wonders.

Jenn Milt Art said...

looks delicious!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you all!

And, no, Annie. No. It was a bit too early in the day. :D

Litty said...

The honeyed orange peel sounds very interesting, let me know how it tastes!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh Litty, I've made it several times and it's wonderful!

Litty said...

What do you usually have it with?

coltpixy said...

Looks so good!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It does, doesn't it, coltpixy?

And Litty - I use both of these as spreads on bread, toast or crackers. A little on a cracker makes a nutritious nibble when craving something sweet. The Boy (my spouse) likes the compote on his hot cereal, and it even makes a nice dollop to complement roasted meat - like a chutney.

I've used them both as fillings for cookies. The Orange peel is really nice for "thumbprint" cookies! And there's always honey left behind, which is special for that occasional sweetened tea!

Hope that helps!

Joanne Olivieri said...

Oh, that sounds delectable.

amala said...

hi there, i've been a silent reader for a lot of month now (i am from germany and i am very into that 'omg, my english is not perfect enough to comment on english / american blogs'-thing), but the first harvest of spring herbs in the woods near my house made me feel like sharing this with you. thank you, i love your blog!

prashant said...

Your photography makes these offerings look so absolutely delicious.
data entry work from home

Reeni said...

These sound delicious - especially the compote!

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious and the book sounds very interesting. I must look into that !!

Tammie Lee said...

oh yum to the things you are happy with. Sorry to hear about the spilling and boiling.

SpiritPhoenix said...

Yum. And more yum!

Wizardess said...

I agree that both recipes sound delicious! And you have won my Sacred Space Give-Away! I emailed you at the walkinthewoodsllc address, so hopefully that went through. If you will send me your mailing address, I will send the package right out. Blessed Spring!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

amala - Vielen Dank for peeking out form the wooded shadows - your english made for a perfectly good comment! And I really appreciate it. Enjoy the beauty of springtime - we all deserve it!

And The Wizardess epi - YAY for me!! :D I'll be in touch.