Google+ What I Made Today: Caraway Kraut & Melissa Ale v.2

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Caraway Kraut & Melissa Ale v.2

I sliced up the small cabbage, mixed it with a bit of sea salt and a generous toss of caraway seed and allowed it rest together so that they could all take their time to get to know one another. Then I gave them a nice massage.
I pressed the party into a jar and already the juice is rising. By tomorrow I'll be able to weight it under its own juices and set it aside for a couple of weeks. That's all it will likely need in this July heat.
Then I'll have a nice batch of fresh caraway sauerkraut. A small batch, but nice.

The lemon balm needed pruning, so some was dried, some was frozen (more on that later) and the rest went into a second one-gallon batch of Melissa Ale, version two. Version two, because I kept to my first "recipe" except that I added the juice of one lime, rather than lemon which went into the first batch. I hope it will be good. I've never had Melissa ale. But of all my brew-trials, I've not been disappointed--yet!

I love pitching the yeast! This is where I sing and cheer them all on, ever so gently--at first, so that they wake in a good mood and ready to party!
Then, when they're awake I give them stir to make sure they're circulating and mingling before their party begins in the their little carboy. Then we rock!


So yeah. Kraut and Ale. That's what I made today.

10 comments:

Beachy Rustica said...

Mmmmm... I can smell it from here & it smells wonderful!

Patrizia said...

Ooooo! I love reading about you making ale and such because I have no idea about it but it sounds so interesting!

Kim said...

Sounds yummy!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I often wonder what my home must smell like when so much is ... umm ... fermenting!

Eh, I little sage, a little nag champa, a little liquid smudge ...

:)

saffron said...

Your ales look and sound so incredible! I wish I could try them all! I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

You make it all seem so effortless. I still can not figure out why making Meade scares the hell outta me...lol.

BB,
Ry

Anonymous said...

Yum! I think homemade alcoholic beverages are so awesome!!!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks everyone! I love this stuff . . . for the effort is a bit like vapor to me. :)

Ryan . . . You have tequila? I have wheels! :)

Veronica said...

I found your blog through a comment you left on mine....thank you!

You mentioned Lemon Balm in this post... I have a nice lemon balm plant but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Could you offer me a suggestion? I would really appreciate it! :)

*scampering off to read all of your archives!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you Veronica!

As for your lemon balm - pick some some, dry it and make a nice cup of tea!

:)