Google+ What I Made Today: Sacrifice & Salad

Monday, July 14, 2008

Sacrifice & Salad

I've been making mead and wine for several years now and while some batches have been better than others, all have been quite drinkable. A few months back the boy made a strong scotch ale variation that ended up sour and quite undrinkable. Today we sacrificed half that batch to the earth. Tomorrow, we'll sacrifice the rest. In the meantime it frees up the vessels that are needed for the upcoming porter variation that is ready to bottle.
It's sad, making such a sacrifice, watching foaming brew flow and absorb into the earth. Yet, sacrifice of any kind is never easy to make. 

Still, the vegetable garden compensated by making a sacrifice for me. It offered up the most glorious makings of a summer salad. Before . . . 
. . . and after!
That's what I made today.

10 comments:

Jennifer Johnson said...

Looks Yummy!!!!
Can't beat Garden Fresh.

Sandra Williams said...

that looks absolutely delish! We've been enjoying our tomatoes thus far and the cucumbers aren't too far behind!

Sorry about your brew. My hubby has made some batches of not such good beer in the past....and we had to empty them out! That stinks.

Cheers,
Sandy

Terri Pezzullo - Handmade said...

Wow that salad looks great, now I'm hungry...

Unknown said...

that is a really lovely before picture of the veggies!

Kathy said...

Yum...
Thanks for the visit and you kind words. The photos on your blog are breathtaking. So beautiful. I enjoyed your links as well.
~xx~
Kathy

Anonymous said...

So sad....all hail the ale!! >wink<
Salad looks scrumcious...mmmm!

*aja said...

Indeed, sacrifice is hard, but such a good teacher. I loved the before and after salad photo. Whenever I grow lettuce, I can't help but call it salad, which drives my guy nuts, but that's what I see when its in the ground :)

Cherry Lane Jane said...

yummy looking salad! poor sacrificed brew:( oh well I am sure the next batch will make up for it

Unknown said...

Oh WOW! Isn't that a gorgeous collection of earth's bounty!? The salad looks so good I want to reach through the screen and take a bite!

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Great looking salad and love the photo of the basket of bottles! ~Tina