Google+ What I Made Today: My Way into the Light

Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Way into the Light

Daybreak arrived with a strange light shining down from a blue sky. Quite frankly, it was a bit like waking to an alien landscape. I asked, "Is that the sun?" Really - I did. Well, it came and went, dancing with cloud cover throughout the day. No rain though. Like a miracle. Afternoon came and I hit the mostly dry gardens. I harvested a few quarts of strawberries, some cat mint and peppermint. The catmint, while past-prime, will be dried for teas and the peppermint will become a pesto. Several seedlings did not survive the last several days of constant cloud cover and rain fall. Such is life. Time for contingency plans. After all, I don't garden as a hobby. I garden to grow a large part of my own food. Most folks don't understand this - even when they say they do.
The strawberries were sorted. Fresh picked garlic scapes were chopped and last week's infused vinegar was strained onto today's fresh pickings to continue the infusion. Gonna be good! I love garlic scape infused vinegar, to me it has a buttery flavor. Somehow, a bottle of mead and a bottle of cranberry wine found their way to the harvest table. Hey - the sun was shining - and I should too!

Now ... while my little acre is mostly dry, I have more Melissa to harvest so I can start a Melissa MEAD! Later!

6 comments:

Sinclair said...

I am growing primarily to feed the family as well, though if we were relying on strawberries this year we would be starving. I have had two handfuls of mini whites, and 3 red berries so far. Most of my strawberry plants died, and I only have about 5 plants still producing. I love that vinegar process!

Unknown said...

For some reason I have not strawberries this year. I think it is time to plant new as I have had that bed for many years.Did I read right you can make tea out of catnip if so I never knew that.

Luthien Thye said...

the strawberries look so fresh and inviting! i do envy your lifestyle ... it's romantic and it's a life that many of us yearn for (including me) but have not the courage to live it (including me). you on the other hand, don't merely say it, but live it with such ease ... and conviction. you rock rose! :) hugs, luthien.

Unknown said...

yum those strawberries look delicious!!!! what a garden goddess you are!

Meghann said...

Oh I am so jealous! I wish I had the health to garden like that and grow more food for my fiancee and I. I love gardening and my organic gardens used to be so nice.....I pray I'll get better soon so I can start growing the ingredients for your luscious recipes!!

Tammie Lee said...

such a lovely bowl of berries!
Yah I get to see your mead recipe. I will take a look and get back to you.
most folks most likely can not understand about growing most their own food, simply because most of us have never done it! I bow to you.
love~