Google+ What I Made Today: A Toast

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Toast

As if by magic my yellow Iris bloomed today. A fitting gesture, for these are the iris growing in the same garden bed as the lily plants that were given to me by my friend, Janice, some 8-years ago or so. Not only that, but Janice held a special fondness for the iris. This morning, Janice passed from this life. 

I met Janice in 1999, when we both enrolled in the Transformational Energy Healing class, along with six other brave and foolish, strong and fragile, amazing and beautiful women. Together, we disclosed, shared and learned more than any of us imagined we would about ourselves and one another. We all learned, validated and reinforced much from and for one another. Janice proved no exception.

One thing that Janice reinforced for me, and heightened to fresh definition is ... the nature of gratitude. I used to spend a good deal of time in her shop, visiting, sharing, shopping, and occasionally helping out at the register. Janice knew I was a wine drinker and one day she announced she had a bottle of wine and offered me a glass. I accepted. She poured me a glass of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. In a flash my wine snob evaporated and all I could do was laugh, say thank you, and share that I had not sipped this particular vintage since high school. 
So this evening, to celebrate the life of Janice, a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill was properly chilled and served in the fine crystal wine glasses that were my Nono's, and glasses were raised to honor the life and spirit of sweet Janice.

Cheers, my friend, my syster. May we forever be as one. Ashe. Ashe.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

she will be much missed... xox... annie

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to a friend who apparently touched your life significantly. Beautiful blog post.
:) DeDe

Kim said...

To Janice...
What a lovely tribute.

threadsofmagique said...

Beautiful and touching. What a lovely person she must have been.

readingsully2 said...

I am sorry for your loss but this is a beautiful tribute to your friend. That flower bloomed for a reason.

This yellow beauty
bloomed in memory of your
friendship and deep love.

Laura Rose said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Crystal said...

A lovely tribute.... lucky you to have known her.

Divaeva said...

TAG! You're it!
http://dailydoseofdiva.blogspot.com/

LynnAnne said...

beautiful post. Made me stop and think of the people who have passed thru my own life and made a never to be forgotten contribution. I'll raise a glass to your friend Janice! LynnAnne

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you all for your kind words. Blessings all around!

Teneal said...

That was truly lovely, Annie. Thankyou for being such an inspiration and my thoughts go to Janice's other friends and family. May she live on through them all. Hari Om