Google+ What I Made Today: Waste Not

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Waste Not


That "chamomile start" I made yesterday continued today with the straining of the steeped plant matter, the addition of sugar, lemon juice and the yeast, all of which found a happy and loving home together in a one gallon jug.
It's bubbling nicely next to a melissa ale and sarsaparilla ale. The gallon of cardamom ale, formerly sharing this space, was primed, bottled and put away today, and will be ready to imbibe in a few weeks.
Amid the herbal brewing, I made time to enjoy a more "conventional" homebrew.
I strained and bottled the chive flower vinegar that I started several weeks back. It's a bottled springtime gem, it is.
I made dinner.
And I foraged in the garden for dessert again.
The evening winds down with two small loaves of bread I made with the brewers yeast from the bottom of the barrel of that cardamom ale I bottled. Waste not, want not!

That's what I made today.

8 comments:

readingsully2 said...

Good Gosh, are you human? I know you are really a robot, right? Or better yet....an alien from Mars.:)

If I ever put in a day like that I would die.........pant, pant, tongue hanging out.

Oh you forgot one thing....you took all of those photos and posted to your blog and even commented.

Did I say I am IMPRESSED!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

From Mars? No ... not Mars ...

:D

Q said...

I enjoy your journal so very much. I find I think about you as I am doing this and that. I also use my herbs and never waste....
Sherry

Kim said...

Saturday I found myself with old friends and celebrated with your rhubarb mead. Ahhh! Thank you!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you Q, for your sweet words!

And Kim - how wonderful!!!!! Slainte!

FashionTouch said...

That was a productive day! I remember the times, when my grandfather had the same huge jugs with wine in his closet, hidden from grandma :)) Me and my brother once secretly tried it, it was not ready yet and it was so sweet, made of apples. Oh, this post made me so nostalgic!

Ryan said...

Did I see a Tequila bottle with Chive Flower Vinger in it?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

You did Ry - indeed you did!